Friday, February 12, 2010

What about the others?

It has been one year since the announcement of the government created Engineer's Cartel, officially known as National Building Professional Accreditation Regulation (NBPAR). As of now, it effectively creates a cartel of engineers (called Professional Engineers or PE) who are insulated from competition, the details of which I have discussed in an earlier post. As predicted, those engineers who do not have the magic stamp found it harder to get work. This is more prominent during a recession like now where projects are few and far between. I myself have met many clients who went elsewhere because I don't have the stamp (though I qualify for it). I have resisted joining it because it was against my professional code of conduct. But I can only hold out for so long.

As such I have proposed major amendments to the regulation to remove the monopoly power from the PEs. The details have been posted here. These amendments are being made to the regulation, and it has been put out for public comments from MHTE. Hopefully, it will be finalised and come into effect soon. Unless the existing PEs put a stop to it.

With clients taking projects elsewhere, and in light of the fact that the amendments are through, I have taken membership as a PE. But I just wonder, what about the other engineers who do not qualify. Where do they go?

3 comments:

Galolhu Blog said...

Those who don't qualify can join MDP government as counsillors and earn higher pay.

Anonymous said...

and their conunterparts at the housing ministry keep pushing these magic stampers on the unsuspecting public. I wonder how much they get for sending a client to them instead of submitting by proper channel.

睡衣 said...

看到你的好文章真是開心 加油囉.......................................